Monday, September 6, 2010

Stuff

So part of my general philosophy about life is to avoid creating "stuff"...to only keep and enjoy those things that are truly pleasurable and to avoid collecting items for the sake of having lots of stuff.  As a result of this philosophy, I hope throughout my life to have less stuff.  Paradoxically, my things become more precious, as I only keep those items that matter.  This also then becomes a source of personal discomfort as separating from precious items is difficult.  Jonathan and I moved to Spain with a fully furnished apartment, yet still had to pay an obscene amount of money to get out stuff over here (clothes, computers, books).  Prior to leaving we had to ship Jonathan's desktop computer, and then once in the airport we had to pay $125 for each additional checked bag (some standard extra bag fee when you fly through multiple carriers - travelers beware!).  Jonathan and I spend a lot of time conceptualizing their things, living a life of both pleasure and peace, and I was so incredible upset by the obscene cost of getting my precious things here!!!

1 comment:

  1. your "shit" my "stuff". just crazy. I will remember when i come to visit to bring only my toothbrush and underwear!

    ReplyDelete