Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Me and My Boo

So today Jonathan and I went over to Margarita and Manolo's house for lunch.  When people speak I can pick out words or phrases and am able to use that along with non-verbal communication and what Jonathan relays to me to understand what is going on.  Today at lunch I became frustrated and tired of trying to understand what was going on (Margarita told a very long story about one of their daughters and once I got lost, I was just lost).  In some ways it is very isolating to have such limited communication with anyone but Jonathan.

As of 4 days ago Jonathan and I have been married for one year.  In the 5 years that we have been together we have learned a lot about each other and I think that i know him and he knows me better than anyone.  One of my major goals in coming to Spain to live for a year was for my relationship with Jonathan to exist within the isolation that I mentioned above.  I want my relationship with Jonathan to become stronger and for us as individuals to truly become one another's partners, to develop a strong bond and more profound understanding of each other.  Prior to living in Spain there were all of these distractions affecting our ability to truly be and grow together (work, school, bills, etc.).  Here in Spain there aren't as many outside forces acting upon our relationship; we have the opportunity to just be together.  We can go for long walks whenever we want, enjoy cooking and having dinners together, and read next to one another.  Being upset about outside stressors is less of a distraction for improving our communication with one another.  My great hope is that when we leave Spain we will have fully taken advantage of this time together as partners.  I hope that our relationship will be stronger than ever so that amidst the work, bills, school, etc., we will be able to go take a walk together.  When one of us is stressed or upset about something, my hope is that we will be better able to support one another.  I think that in a lot of relationships the stuff in life gets in the way of being truly intimate with your partner.  My hope is that the closeness we share here in Spain will serve us throughout the remainder of our relationship. 

1 comment:

  1. Your such a sweet girl! I love your relationship with Jonathan, it is refreshing to see someone else that is happy! On another note I totally feel you with the Spanish thing, when I was in Peru I would just sit at the dinner table and not understand anything. Do you have TV? That honestly helped me alot, with the subtitles...just saying.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete