Monday, February 21, 2011

I'm in Argentina and Everything's Awesome!!!

On the 11th Jonathan and I arrived here in sunny Argentina!  We are staying with our cousin Nora, her husband Jorge, and their two sons Sebastian and Santiago.  They have a guest house in their backyard where we have been staying.  We immediately felt comfortable here upon arriving.  The guest house is very comfortable (we have our own bathroom and air conditioning and wi-fi).  But also, they have all been so generous and so kind that we feel right at home here.  We've had a ball hanging out with Santiago and Sebastian; Jonathan and Sebastian are connected at the hip (who knew that Jonathan had an Argentine cousin who was into Swedish film).  It's hysterical to watch them interact - watching Al Pacino clips on You Tube and arguing over how many continents there are (in Argentina they learn in school that "America" is a continent, which includes both North and South America).  They are currently competing in memory games online for beers. 


The first night we were here we had a big family dinner (beef, of course) with Tino (Nora's sister) and his whole family.  Jorge taught Jonathan how to cook the ribs and chorizo's Argentinian style. 



We are currently staying about 30 minutes by train from downtown Burnos Aires.  The city is absolutely amazing.  We have visited it a few times now.  One day we went to a Latin America Art Museum with Santiago.  Here was one of my favorite works that I saw (Antonio Berni's Manifestacion):
We also went through a whole tour of the city with Jorge, Nora, and Santiago.  It's huge and beautiful and I can't wait to see more of it. 

We also spent one day in Chascomus, a large lake south of Buenos Aires.  On the drive there we got to see Las Pampas, the flat plains of Argentina where all the cows live.  There were cows as far as the eye could see. 



We also spent a day with Tino.  We went and saw the first house that Jonathan's mother lived in here in Buenos Aires (Jonathan's grandparents immigrated to Buenos Aires from Spain during Franco's years for work.  Jonathan's mom was about 7 years old when they moved.  About 9 years later (when his mom was about 16) they then moved to New York for work again).  We also walked around his town, Claypool and had lunch with his family. 

Last Sunday Jonathan and I went to a Baptist church service with Nora (Tino is the pastor), which was for sure an experience for me.  All of the services I've ever been to have been Catholic.  Very different. 

I tried Mate.  It's horrible.  I felt like a kid trying beer for the first time.  Maybe it's an acquired taste?  

It's been like 90 and sunny  (it's so hot. My fingers and toes are swollen - they look like little sausages). 

I've never eaten more beef in all my life (Argentina has a huge beef industry).  I think I'll be set for life with regard to iron intake. 

We've been keeping real busy and have surely have been enjoying ourselves.  Argentina is a ereally beautiful country and I am so hapy that we have decided to come.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment