Sunday, November 7, 2010

My Very First Futbol Game!!

Jonathan and I spent Saturday night in Vigo, the largest city in Galicia, the region in Spain where we are currently living.  It's a very pretty city, right on the water, and we can't wait to return to see more of the city.  Tina has invited us to stay at her house for a week, so that we can spend more time checking out Vigo (it is about a 40 minute bus ride from us).  On Saturday night we hung out at Vicente and Begonia's house, had dinner and a few drinks.  We spent the night at Rosa's house (Begonia and Vicente have two small boys, Noel and Mario).  We woke up, had croissants and coffee with Rosa and then headed over to the soccer game with Vicente.  It was an absolute riot - I loved it.  It was quite possibly the most dramatic thing I have ever witnessed.  So first, the crowd.  They cheer and boo at ever change in possession (it reminded me very much of when Jonathan and I watched Nadal's gruesome 5 hour Wimbledon win with his mother.  She cheered and booed over every point).  They chant throughout the entire game, "son of a bitch" for example.  When the opposing team, Seville, did any sort of kick off, they would boo, whistle, and throw garbage at them.  So, then there are the players (I now understand why soccer isn't as popular in the US).  They were the most dramatic athletes I have ever seen.  Any time they would take a charge they would fall to the ground, grabbing at some appendage as if they had almost died!  I really had a ball and definitely would love to go to another game.  Some other things to note about the game...they don't serve any alcohol (only NA beer and pop), as a means of crowd control.  When you buy a pop they remove the cap, to prevent people from using them as projectiles.  After the game we returned to Vicente and Begonia's house to eat and hang out.  We then went for a nice walk along the water to look at the boats (Vigo is Europe's largest fishing port) and into the older section of the city to look at the buildings and have a drink.  I have included some pictures I took at the game. 

1 comment: