Thursday, October 7, 2010

School Update

School continues to go well.  I continue to seem to get better each day, understanding more and being able to better express myself.  My classes are currently scheduled until the end of October, when at that point the language institute will close for the winter.  A week or so ago Jonathan and I met this Bangladeshi man who runs a Turkish restaurant the next town over.  He told us that his wife took Spanish classes there for free and gave us the school name.  Jonathan and I still need to follow up on this as Pontevedra, the next town over is 25 minutes closer than O Grove, where I'm currently taking classes.  Also, free is always better than costs money.  If it doesn't work out, then I am able to contract my professor for private lessons while the school is closed. 

In enrolling in the classes here I had hoped to make a friend or two, but this hasn't really worked out as planned.  All of the other students are from different countries in Europe (3 young girls from Germany, one boy from England, a middle aged woman from France, a middle aged woman from Germany, and one elderly Finnish man).  All of the students I have met have come and gone in less than a week or two.  Apparently it is common for European students to go on "study vacations".  So needless to say I've stopped even bothering to introduce myself to new students.  The French woman started today - thank goodness.  It had been just me and the old Finnish man the last 2 weeks.  He is hard of hearing and gets frustrated really easy and gets pouty about halfway through class!

No comments:

Post a Comment